Open search Close search

Close menu


Going the gym is back and this Liverpool owner tells us why its more important than ever

3 years ago

By The Guide Liverpool

Going the gym is back and this Liverpool owner tells us why its more important than ever

Almost two months after re-opening after lockdown, gym members have been as keen as ever to return to their regimes and centres, with few signs of having been put off by the pandemic, according to Liverpool’s Absolute Body Solutions.

Almost all of its clients are back at its South Liverpool gym with figures close to 100%, and there has been a 10% increase in new people signing up.

Its city centre gym is back to 85% membership although owner, Connor O’Brien says: “Clients working from home and living over 30-40 mins away make up most of the remaining 15% of those not returned.”

He adds: “New signs ups are coming through fast which is great, and demand hasn’t dropped from what we had at the start of the year. 

“We are getting busier by the month and expect to have a strong finish to the year.”

The only thing which has changed is when people are going to the gym.

Says Connor: “The times people train have changed. There are more sessions in the daytime rather than the usual after work rush.”

ABS, which has centres in Speke, Liverpool city centre and Manchester focusing on personal training sessions, says its members have been reassured by the measures put in place to keep them safe…

Connor says: “The measures we introduced, many before lockdown are still in place – our biggest priority is to keep clients and our staff safe so that people can train in confidence and peace of mind.

“We are lucky that because we offer personal training, we can monitor all the measures and the cleaning practices very closely and ensure that they continue to be met.”

Safety measures after lockdown at ABS, which have been out in place at many gyms, include:

Sanitising stations throughout the gym. 

Daily visitor and staff temperature checks.   

Cleaning regimes throughout the facilities have been increased, and there’s the addition of readily-available equipment disinfectant sprays. 

All equipment used is completely sanitised after training sessions.

Changing rooms are closed with clients asked to arrive in training clothes and to bring water. 

Trainers practice social-distancing and eliminate any physical contact during sessions. 

Initially trainers wore PPE but this is the only measure that has been removed and only, says Connor, after consultation with members who were entirely happy with that, stressing that it was above and beyond, in any event, government guidelines.

Connor says, too, that ABS has been ‘overwhelmed’ by the response of those returning.

“Pre-lockdown, many of our clients didn’t want us to close but of course we had to,” he says. “But we had the joy of them being able to come back towards the end of August, and they said how much they had missed it.

“Fitness is very much a part of people’s lives and routines, and it leaves a big gap when it’s not there.

“Staying healthy and fit is always important but, now, it’s more vital than ever – especially with no sign of Covid-19 going away any time soon.”

Being fit and healthy, and exercising regularly, helps to keep weight down, says Connor – something Prime Minister Boris Johnson is working on with his personal trainer after his own battle with coronavirus which saw him seriously ill in hospital.

But it can also have many other benefits.

“Keeping on top of your fitness improves your health, your immune system, your fitness and strength,” stresses Connor, “and so this is more important than ever.

“Just getting out of the house, if working from home, to take time for a walk or a run in the fresh air will do you so much good.

“Exercise and fitness also makes us feel better mentally, as well as physically.”

And Connor says: “A lot of people lost track with their fitness routine during lockdown, which is completely understandable, now post-lock down we can all focus on improving our health and keeping as fit as possible.”


The Guide Liverpool

About Us

We showcase the very best of Liverpool City Region through stunning video features and keep residents and visitors updated on what's on and what's good. About Us

The Guide Liverpool

Meet Our Team 👋

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse quis eros sit amet mi eleifend tincidunt. Donec porttitor risus eros, vitae dapibus augue pharetra a. Maecenas vulputate purus in eros faucibus rhoncus. Meet Our Team

The Guide Liverpool

Video Production & Advertising

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Suspendisse quis eros sit amet mi eleifend tincidunt. Services