Veterans invited to parade at Princess Anne’s 100th anniversary Southport War Memorial re-dedication
2 months ago
Veterans from across the UK are invited to take part in the 100th anniversary celebrations of the monument which will be honoured with a royal visit.
Princess Anne will officially re-dedicate the Southport War Memorial this Friday (29th September 2023).
The stunning landmark was officially opened in 1923, five years after the end of the First World War.
It was a moving occasion which saw a parade of 320 local children whose parents had been killed in action during the ‘Great War’.
The founders of the tribute to the fallen hoped it would not only ‘serve as a memorial to the dead but as a warning against future wars’.
Event organiser, Major Nick McEntee TD VR REME and Chairman of the Royal British Legion, Southport, said:
“To all veterans across the North West, and beyond – we need you to join us for this incredible occasion.
“On Friday 29th September Southport will re-dedicate our War Memorial in the presence of HRH The Princess Royal. For many of you she will be your Colonel in Chief.
“There is a spectacular parade, led by the Band of The Royal Air Force College Cranwell, and we warmly invite you to take part.
“Gather your comrades, reunite your Regimental Associations, do what we do best in the military community by coming together to remember and show the world how proud we are to serve.”
Members of the parade will rendezvous from 10.30am at Victoria Park, Southport. The parade steps off at 11.15. The Re-dedication Service led by Princess Anne begins at midday.
Major Nick McEntee said:
“Anyone wishing to join the parade but unable to march should rendezvous at The British Heart Foundation on Lord Street in Southport town centre at 11.15am.
“You will then be called forward to stand in the parade. If you use a mobility scooter you can of course use that in the parade, there will be an area for you to park up at The Memorial.
“We have a number of bars and eateries in Southport that will be offering discounts to the Military Community on the day, follow us on the Royal British Legion Southport page on Facebook to keep up to date with those offers and future events.
“There are 1,826 names inscribed on Southport’s memorial, be with us on the 29th to honour every single one of those men and women. Lest We Forget.”
HRH The Princess Royal will be attending the event in her capacity as President of the Women’s Section of the Royal British Legion.
The re-dedication of Southport War Memorial is being organised by Southport Royal British Legion.
Located in London Square on Lord Street, the impressive structure comprises an obelisk flanked by two colonnades in the form of Greek temples. Outside the colonnades are public memorial gardens, each containing a Pool of Remembrance and fountains.
One of the largest outside of London, the memorial was designed by the local architects Grayson and Barnish, with the carving executed by Herbert Tyson Smith.
The event will consist of a parade marching from Victoria Park in Southport to the War Memorial where a Drumhead Service will be conducted to mark the re-dedication of the War Memorial.
The re-dedication will be attended by senior civil dignitaries including Southport MP Damien Moore and senior military figures.
The parade will be led by the Band of the Royal Air Force College and be made up of Armed Forces personnel and Veterans from all three services, as well as Combined Cadet Force cadets from Merchant Taylors School and contingents from all 28 schools in the Southport area.
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org